Logo for The Cistercian Way
21 November 2014
Old lead workings south of Holywell Holywell from Penyball Top | Webblog | Links | Contact us |
Basingwerk

Founded in about 1131 by Ranulf, earl of Chester as a house for Savignac monks. Like Neath (Wales's other Savignac house, Basingwerk started under the close protection of the marcher lord. Its site at Basingwerk was chosen to be close to Winifred's well there, and it may have been monks from Basingwerk who commissioned one of the early versions of the saint's life.. When the orders were merged in 1147, Basingwerk became Cistercian.

More about the abbey on the Sheffield University’s Cistercians web site.

Ruins of the abbey church and cloister at Basingwerk Outside the well chapel at Holywell | Home | Back |
Ruins of the abbey church and cloister at Basingwerk

Last 05-Sep-2006
©2005 Alliance of Religions and Conservation
Site Design and programming by David Topping