Logo for The Cistercian Way
22 August 2014
Wentwood in the snow Looking north from the Newchurch road | Webblog | Links | Contact us |
Newchurch

The land north of Wentwood was given to the monks of Tintern. They cleared it and made it into a grange farm called Plataland. It was a long way from the abbey, though, and in 1302 they exchanged it with the marcher lord of Chepstow, Roger Bigod, for land around Aluredston on the Gloucestershire side of the Wye.

Roger used the western part of the land for hunting, and built a hunting lodge at Cas Troggy. (You can just see the ruins from the road.) He settled tenants on the eastern part and built a church to serve their needs. Medieval town planners didn’t go in for original names - no ‘Badgers’ Copse’ or ‘Bluebell Grove’ for them. If it was a new church they called it - Newchurch.

The church was rebuilt in the nineteenth century but still has its medieval tower and porch. There is also a disused medieval font.

In a field a mile to the south-west is Gaer Llwyd, a Neolithic tomb.

Bluebells in the woods near Kilgwrrwg Looking north from Wentwood towards Newchurch | Home | Back |
Stone Age burial mound at Gaer-llwyd near Newchurch

Last 05-Sep-2006
©2005 Alliance of Religions and Conservation
Site Design and programming by David Topping