This is a jewel of a church. In its circular raised churchyard, it is a classic example of the situation of the typical early medieval Welsh church. The walls include some squared red sandstone robbed from the fort. But the great glory of the church is its rood loft and screen, probably built in about 1500. The cross-beams and the underside of the loft are carved with vine and oakleaf trails, wyverns, interlace and circle motifs.
There is a jumble of late medieval glass including a rather odd figure of a bishop with unnaturally large hands and an oversized mitre in the north window of the nave. We eventually realised that it was made up of fragments of at least two bishops coerced into one figure by the Victorian restorers. To our uninstructed eyes, this looked very much like the glass at Llanllugan, and we wondered if it could have come from there. The grave of the poet John Ceiriog Hughes is in the graveyard.
Archaeological survey of the church on the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust web site.